The full name of this organization is Veterans Affairs Physician Assistant Association, herein known as VAPAA.
The Mission of VAPAA is:
- To support its members working in the Veterans Healthcare Administration (VHA) of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- To increase access to care for our nation's Veterans by decreasing barriers to practice for PAs within the VA.
- To share the goals and policies of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), of which VAPAA is and shall remain a constituent chapter.
- To serve as the only constituent organization of the AAPA that exclusively represents the interests of PAs working in the VA system nationwide at the AAPA House of Delegates.
- To develop and sustain collaborative relationships with organizations that share common goals.
The Goals of VAPAA include, but are not limited to:
- Creating and maintaining an atmosphere for the exchange of professional ideas among the PAs within VHA.
- Increasing the professional recognition of PAs within VHA.
- Promoting appropriate utilization of PAs within VHA.
- Encouraging the establishment of PA representation in the VHA organizational structure on local, VISN and national levels.
- Encouraging the VHA to increase academic support and tuition assistance for VA PA educational needs.
VAPAA does not represent PAs in individual local employment matters.
VAPAA may provide guidance and support to VAPAA members, but local employment matters such as step increases, pay, credentialing, duty hours, and discipline can only be addressed by local facility, credentialing, and/or AFGE.